Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Profile: Seth Nemeroff

Today we profile Seth Nemeroff, one of the leaders of Young Professionals for Acumen Fund. Seth has put his experiences as an equities and commodities trader to good use at a number of non-profit organizations and he's currently shifting his focus to more socially-minded ventures.

I've been an equities/commodities trader for more than 12 years and I have worked at a large trading firm, in a small partnership, and most recently for myself. Living overseas and being able to travel fairly extensively over the last few years has lead me to pursue a new career in sustainable development. I'm interested in how different fields, particularly health care, education, micro finance, and job creation, can use innovation and creativity to help solve some of the world's most intractable problems.

During this transition, I am helping with strategy and planning for Obala Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to improving health care access and distribution in West Africa; providing tennis instruction for kids with New York Cares; offering pro-bono consulting for Net Impact Service Corps; volunteeriing with Accion USA; and I am one of the leaders of Young Professionals for Acumen Fund.

For those of you who are interested in getting involved with non-profits but don't know where to start, I highly recommend attending some of the many social sector events in New York (or where you live). There's a Google Calendar of events on this blog but feel free to send tips about other social sector event to me at sethnem@yahoo.com and I will add them. (Please use the subject line "YP Acumen Event" so that I don't delete it!)

1 comment: